Thursday, May 8, 2008

Same Same, but Different






Well, I have fallen in love with Laos. It is a stunningly beautiful country. Much like Thailand in many ways, but different. The people are more open and friendly. Less jaded by tourism. Everywhere you go you are greeted with a friendly Sabadee. The scenery is postcard. I can't stop taking pictures and yet it does not do justice to the beauty. I spent three days getting here from Thailand - which was quite a fun adventure. A day on a bus from Pai, to the border in Chiang Kong. Overnight and up early to catch a boat over to the Laos border. Then a 16 hour two day slow boat down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. I spent my days gaping at the gorgeous scenery, talking wtih fellow passangers, playing cards, reading, and relaxing. It was a great trip.

From Luang Prabang I heading into Vang Vieng, an interesting mix between the beauty of Laos and tourism. Literally every restaurant was playing friends episodes. There are big comfy seats with pillows and you just lay back and wile the day away watching TV. I actually spent most of my time out an about. I went inner tubing down the river, stopping along the way at the restaurants to relax and jump off the ziplines. I spent a day touring caves, and kayaking. Another day motoring around the countryside exploring the caves and lakes. It was awesome. Now, I am heading out to explore more of the countryside and then on to Cambodia!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, so glad you're having so much fun. I wish I could do it with you, but frankly it takes a lot more energy than I have. Enjoy every minute for all of us! BTW, HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY! xoxo ingrid

May 9, 2008 at 4:53 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home