Tuesday, February 5, 2008

BUT WHAT WILL IT COST?

Okay, so for those of you that have been wondering what an adventure like this will cost (dad just stop reading now, you don't want to know) here it is. The grand total for seven months of a fairly budget trip is $13,000.

So, here is the breakdown:

Costs per day (now this is a rough estimate of what I think I will spend per day in each country, I tried to budget high, as I would rather be under then over. When the trip is over, I will let you know what I actually spent):

Food - will be eating breakfast at the hostel or bakeries, lunch will be street food, or other inexpensive items, dinner either made at the hostel, or in inexpensive restaurants.

Lodging - will be staying at hostels (http://www.hostelbookers.com/booking/index.cfm?fuseaction=hosteldetails&hostel=7485, for an example of the type of place we will be staying at and prices, checkout the link), or at other peoples home's through www.couchsurfing.com.

Transportation - most of our traveling will be done by bus, or train, overland to save expenses. It will be fairly inexpensive and included in costs per day. (Any major land jumps or flights are included in transportation costs).

$25 a day: Thailand (27 days), Malaysia (8 days), Laos (9days), Cambodia (11 days)
Total: 1,375

$30 a day: China (11 days), Mongolia (4 days), Egypt (17 days), Transiberian Railroad (7 days) Total: $1,170

$40 a day: Singapore (7 days), Lake Irkustk (Siberia (14 days), Ukraine (9 days), Poland (7 days), Hungary (6 days), Czech Republic (5 days)
Total: $1,920

$50 a day: Hong Kong (3 days), Moscow (8 days), Croatia (15 days), Greece (18 days), Spain (20 days) Portugal (12 days)
Total $3,800

Flights/Transportation (we are going mostly overland and booking each leg ourselves, for flights):

South Korea to Hong Kong to Bangkok $500
Malaysia to Bangkok $45
Laos to Cambodia $130
Cambodia to Shanghai $350
Trans-Siberian Railroad $400
Moscow to Yalta, Ukraine $100
Greece to Egypt (either by plane or fly) $350
Egypt to Spain $350
Spain to California $500

Additional Travel Allowance: $500 (for trains, and buses along the way as we go overland, for example we are traveling from Croatia to Greece overland, which will take 2 days.
Total: $3,225

Extras:
Visa Costs for China and Russia $250
Scuba Diving $300
Tours and other adventures $500
Misc. $460 (extra padding to give me room to have fun or splurge along the way)
So, there you have it. I tried to stick to countries that were less expensive, as you can see I spend quite a bit of time in Southeast Asia. I did include Spain/Portugal, which did add quite a bit to my trip. I probably could have kept it around $10,000 without those countries, but I really wanted to go and I will be right there.
As most of you know, I have been saving for this for quite a bit and I figure it is worth it. You only live once after all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you and can't believe how organized and accomplished you are. You are my hero! And I would be right there with you if I didn't have two babies right now!!!

Julie, one thing I need to tell you: When you get to Egypt, PLEASE cover up. It's a hot time of year, but you need to wear pants and a long sleeved shirt. We lived there for 4 years and it can be dangerous (I'm serious) to walk around in shorts, and I know you're planning on it. So please try to protect yourself, these guys aren't so friendly. Wishing you luck and joy!
ingrid

March 9, 2008 at 7:53 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home