Thursday, April 24, 2008

Onward and Upward to Chiang Mai











I'm back in Thailand, Northern Thailand, to be exact, and as you can see, even among the wildness and adventure of the area, McDonald's is still here - with a slight twist. I have fallen in love with Chiang Mai, it is a gorgeous area, as you can see with all kinds of adventures. I took an all day cooking class, where I made Spring Rolls, Pad Thai, Green Curry, Chicken in Coconut Milk, Papaya Salad, Sweet and Sour Chicken, and Mango with Sticky Rice. Yum! They even let me play with fire!

I spent another two days trekking in the mountains, visiting a hill tribe and the long neck tribe. There were 11 of us trekking and two guides. We had a really fun group. The first day we rode elephants and then we started trekking, uphill, for 2.5 hours. I was picturing a leisurely trek through the forest. No. I thought I was going to die. Really. But, it was all worth it when we got there and looked out over the valley. It was gorgeous. We stayed in one of the village buildings, and had a great night. Our guide brought out his guitar and sung his Thai version of I want to hold your hand and Stand By Me - to our delight. He also provided a delicious supper of yellow curry and rice with a very interesting pumpkin dish. The next day we were up early and off on another trek to a waterfall, then white water rafting, and bamboo rafting, although our raft kept sinking. We headed home after that and everyone met up for dinner and drinks afterwards. I got along so well with a couple of my fellow trekkers that we left this morning for a tiny, but absolutely gorgeous little town called Pai. I am staying in a gorgeous bungalow by the river, for about $6 a night, and enjoying the atmosphere of this peaceful little village. Tomorrow we will rent motorbikes and be off to explore the waterfalls, hot springs, and caves of the area. My trip just keeps getting better and better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO I get overly excited everytime I get a new e-mail of your adventure. I'm always sharing with Um and we live through your experiances. I wish I could be there where you are, but life is great regardless..I miss you tons and I hope you do stay safe in your journies. Keep us posted (the pictures and entries are sooo much fun to read) :) God bless

April 26, 2008 at 7:37 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home