Monday, May 26, 2008

You buy lady, I give you good price...








"Lady, lady, you like I give you good price. You are very beautiful, I give you good price. Just for you. How much you want to pay. Real price, no joking price. You very clever. I give you good price." And so this goes on with the seller giving me an amazingly high price, and I countering with an incredible low price, and then going back and forth a few times, me trying to walk away, she actually grabbing my hand or blocking my way, me finally leaving, her yelling after me, "no, no come back, I give you good price." I go back, we disagree on what I good price is and I leave a few times more, before we agree on our price. I was told I was very beautiful and clever, more times then I can count. In this instance we were bargaining over a Northface jacket, which I eventually got for $17. I also bought a "Prada" purse, some nice capris and a couple shirts. The whole process is actually quite fun, if you can take it with a some humor and a grain of salt.

China was an interesting country. We only had time for Beijing, as we have to get to Russia by a certain date on our visa, but we made the most of our few days. We saw the Forbidden City, Tian'anmen Square, the Summer Palace, the Great Wall, the Ming Tombs, the Hou Hai area of lakes and teahouses, we rented bikes and rode though the streets and ate street food, we ate Peking Duck, and of course, we shopped. And now we are off on the Trans-siberian Railroad. Stay tuned for more adventures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home